Friday 3 January 2014

A camera I can drop and dribble on

I am buying a camera and it will have to be tough.  I'll be taking pictures from the back of a horse in a variety of temperatures and weather!

The short post

I reckon the Panasonic Lumix TS5 wins.

The long post

I want the best quality photos I can get, of course, but quality is pointless if the camera can't withstand a bit of rough-and-tumble.  And damp.

What I looked for:
- waterproofing;
- light weight;
- cold temperature resistant;
- good in low light (this because this is the most obvious problem I have noticed with my iPhone 5) (which is otherwise really pretty good) (see below)


Schladming, Austria

- quality of photographs.

To compile my short list, I went to Which.com - a great British review site currently offering a month's membership for £1.  The reviews are in-depth and the site is very trusted here.

Cameras I liked:

Olympus Stylus TG-830
Nikon Coolpix AW100 (latest version the AW110)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4 (latest version the Lumix DS5)

All were great according to reviews in the categories I cared about.  I chose the Nikon initially because I know the name, but a friend alerted me to the following excellent review from the Wirecutter (a  http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-all-around-waterproof-camera/).  Check it out...it convinced me, due to the thoroughness of the testing, and is much more up to date than the Which review.  Thanks, Brennan!


No comments:

Post a Comment