Tuesday 26 November 2013

Toggi Calgary Cheecos

Toggi Calgary Cheeco boots 
(Toggi's description is here.)

I bought these boots as a more cost effective alternative to polo boots.  I knew I needed brown boots for polo but I also wanted boots that were a bit more all-purpose and hard wearing.

Cost

I paid about £80; cheapest available online at time of posting was £62 (see Mole Valley Farmers).

Fit

These are the standard fit (Toggi do offer a wide fit) and my boots are close-fitting around the calf, even though my calves are relatively slim.  There is give from the elasticated panel at the back, though; I quite often squeeze thick socks and jods into mine and its difficult to do the zip up but not impossible.  The room around the ankle makes these boots reasonably good for walking in although I've found if I walk too far with the wrong socks they rub slightly at the heel.  They are very comfortable to ride in.  A good compromise.

There are some more comments on fit on the Horse and Hound forum here.

Wear

I've had the boots for a year and a half or so - I don't ride very regularly (few times a month) but I have used them for walking quite a lot.  They've held up remarkably well - I often get admiring comments (maybe because I wear them when everyone else is wearing wellies!).  They're brilliant in mud - they don't seem to let water in at all, although I haven't stuck my foot in a lake.  Toggi recommend you brush dirt off immediately and of course I've never done that, but they don't look any the worse for it.

The zips in particular seem hardy and good quality - they have often gone on other boots but no sign of wear yet on these.

Verdict

Good value, good quality and relatively inexpensive - a great all-purpose boot.  Not quite smart enough for proper polo but smarter than Toggi's other 'country' boots.  You could *almost* wear them with jeans but they look quite smart with riding gear.  I love them!

Let me know if you have any questions/comments - do you have a pair?

No comments:

Post a Comment